Tuesday, April 25, 2006

Finding a job or getting a life, maybe

So as my friends and family know I seem to have some odd affliction to work. I run from it as often as possible, but somehow people seem to find me and force me to work for them. In the past I usually have not written much about myself, but here's some change for ya.

Over the past 4 months I have been trying to find what I am supposed to be doing when I grow up. I have worked as an IT Manager for a mid sized credit union, I have been a Delivery Manager for a small managed services company and of course (not that you would know if you didn't know me) I have been a network/systems admin and part time programmer...oh yeah I have done plenty of project management work as well. So now I am trying to figure out what I really want to do with my life/career. I have been open and honest to recruiters who want me to work for a client of theirs in letting them know, I really don't know WHAT I want to do with my life. Should I go into consulting (which is what I have been doing for the last 4 months) or should I go back to being a fulltime employee? Today I got a call from a company in Austin Texas. This call consisted of me and a recruiter talking about my aspirations and what I really want to do with my search for a job. Well, she told me that she has the exact thing I am looking for. Now, I don't know if I would be willing to move away from sunny CA for hot and dry Texas for my career, but it's something that I should consider (or so I am telling myself). My family seems to think this might be a good idea, but again, this hasn't really gotten into any real heavy/in-depth conversations. The job sounded really attractive and it is what I SAY I have been looking for, but how do we really know what we want to do in our careers? Your career may not be your life, but for me computers and networks have been a big part of my life. These are things I am comfortable dealing with and talking about.

So if anyone out there has gone through anything like this and has any opinions on this matter, I would love to get some feedback. Relocating to another state for a job is not a trivial undertaking. If I were single with no children this would be a no brainer. But I have a wife and two girls which makes this a very difficult decision. Anyway, opinions are welcome so fire away...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home